Guinea coup was uncalled for and a setback to African politics says Museveni

Reading Time: < 1 minute

President Museveni has said that the soldiers who overthrow the Guinean President Alpha Condé were wrong and should get out. Last Sunday, soldiers led by Col Mamady Doumbouya overthrew Conde in a well-planned military coup.

However, speaking in an exclusive interview with France 24, President Museveni said the coup leaders should vacate power.

“They should get out, they should be told to go away because they are not a solution to problems of the country,” Museveni said.

“That’s unfortunate and it is a step backwards. Those military coups are of low value, we had them in the 1960s, and they were part of Africa’s problems. I condemn the coup, I don’t accept the idea of coups, they are not a solution.”

The coup was the fourth in West Africa in just over a year. There have been two military takeovers in Mali and a failed attempt in Niger since August 2020.

The 83-year-old president in October 2020 won a controversial third term after changing the constitution earlier in March that year to allow him run for another term.

Demonstrations against Conde’s third terms saw a number of people killed in clashes with security forces.

Conde was among the heads of state who attended President Museveni’s swearing-in earlier this year.


Sponsored Articles