Kigezi Home Boyz vs Kitara FC match suspended by FUFA Indefinitely

Reading Time: 2 minutes

The Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) has indefinitely suspended a football game between Kigezi Home Boyz and Kitara Football Club in the ongoing Stanbic Bank Uganda cup.

The first leg of the game had initially been scheduled to be played on Tuesday at 4 p.m. at Kavumba Recreation Grounds in Kampala, while the second leg would take place at Kabale Municipal Ground on Saturday afternoon.

As part of the preparation, Kitara Football Club opted to host their home games at Kavumba Recreation Grounds because FUFA had declined to approve Masindi Municipal Stadium for the competition due to its sorry state and lack of required facilities. But on Tuesday, the team from Kigezi was denied access to the venue in Kavumba and were then informed that the opponent was waiting for a faceoff in Masindi.

FUFA statement

However, it was too late for them to travel from Kavumba, in Wakiso District to Masindi, a distance of 206 kilometres away. Kigezi Home Boyz players say that they later learnt that FUFA had approved Masindi Municipal Stadium after Kitara Football Club met the requirements, yet there was no communication sent to them prior to the game.

Hajjat Aisha Nalule, the FUFA Competitions Director said in a statement issued on Wednesday that the game between the two clubs has been suspended until further notice and asked both teams to abide by FUFA’s resolution.

Timothy Tumuheirwe, the Kigezi Home Boyz Communications Officer confirmed to our reporter that the club has received an official statement from FUFA suspending the game until further notice.  But Tumuheirwe faulted FUFA for failing to communicate the changes on time, yet the club had to spend on transport, meals and accommodation for players.

According to Tumuheirwe, the club has lost eight million Shillings to cater for players for the two days they camped in Kampala preparing for the game that has been suspended.

Sponsored Articles