Awach Sub County Chairperson Elect Died of Respiratory Complications-Police

Reading Time: < 1 minute

The police have said that Fred Oteka, the newly elected LC III Chairperson for Awach Sub County in Gulu district died of respiratory complications.   

A post-mortem conducted on Tuesday afternoon by police surgeons at Gulu Central Police Station indicates that Oteka had a damaged lung, which caused him chest pains and difficulties in breathing.   

Oteka died on Monday night from Awach Health Centre IV where he was admitted with severe chest pains and difficulties in breathing.   

Shortly after his death, reports emerged that Oteka could have been poisoned. The rumours of his poisoning prompted anger among his supporters and they were reportedly planning a massive demonstration in protest of the death and actions of the suspected offenders.   

Christine Amony, a resident of Awach Trading Centre said that Oteka had earlier on Monday attended a meeting with the management committee of Awach Primary School and later ate pork at a local restaurant at Awach Trading Centre.   

Richard Watmon, the Paibona Sub County Chairperson and former Speaker of Awach Sub County say that the deceased could have eaten food laced with poison since he started vomiting while on his way home, rushed to the hospital and later pronounced dead.  

However, Patrick Jimmy Okema the Aswa River Region Police Spokesperson said that the post-mortem report states that Oteka died a natural death due to complications in the lung and other respiratory organs.   

A case of sudden death has been registered at Gulu Central Police Station under case number DEF 01/2021.   

Oteka, the former chairperson for Awach Trading Centre business community beat four others to become the Awach Sub County Chairperson in the just concluded general elections.

Sponsored Articles