Security heads in Kasese District have warned those trying to destabilize Rwenzururu Kingdom, saying they will be dealt with. This comes after unknown persons burnt part of the residence of Rwenzururu King Omusinga Charles Wesley Mumbere on Wednesday night.
Information obtained by URN shows that the burnt house initially accommodated Mumbere. A number of cultural items that survived the 2016 military raid on the palace were also reduced to ashes.
On November 27, 2016, UPDF soldiers raided the palace, which erupted in flames leaving more than 100 people dead. Mumbere was arrested together with more than 130 people believed to be his royal guards. They were accused of terrorising people and security personnel across Rwenzori Sub-region. The place has since remained a crime scene.
No one has claimed responsibility for torching the palace last week and their motive. Kasese Resident District Commissioner, Lt. Joe Walusimbi has warned persons trying to destabilize the current peace, saying they started investigating the incident.
He also warns those who have begun spreading malicious information concerning the incident to desist from the propaganda, which is likely to cause chaos.
The Rwenzori East Police Commander-RPC, Samuel Asiimwe says security forces managed to put off the fire in time but the damage was grave. Assimwe says they are investigating the officers who were deployed guard the palace at the time the fire broke out.
Joseph Kule Muranga, the Rwenzururu Premier, says the act is aimed at diverting the ongoing peace negotiations between the Obusinga Bwa Rwenzururu leadership and the government. Dr. Nathan Walemba, a member of Privy Council in the Kingdom, says the burnt structure was the only remaining house in the palace after the 2016 raids.
Bradford Nguru, a former Minister in Rwenzururu Kingdom calls on government to thoroughly investigate the incident, saying such acts threaten the peace of the region.