More than 6,000 bodies found in Burundi new mass graves

Reading Time: < 1 minute

According to Burundi authorities the remains of 6,032 victims as well as thousands of bullets were recovered in six mass graves in Karusi province. Whisper Eye Reports.

Yesterday evening Authorities in Burundi announced the discovery of more than 6,000 bodies in six mass graves in a war torn country

The neew findings in Karusi province are the largest reported mass graves since the government launched a nationwide excavation in January 2020.

The chairman of the country’s truth and reconciliation commission, Mr Pierre Claver Ndayicariye  told journalists including our one Jean Claude a whisper Eye reporter on Friday that the remains of 6,032 victims, as well as thousands of bullets, were recovered.

According to Jean , things like Clothes, glasses and rosaries were used to identify some of the victims.

Referring to a 1972 massacre which is believed to have targeted people from the Hutu ethnic group, Ndayicariye said families of the victims were able to “break the silence” that was imposed 48 years ago.

The government of Burundi -run commission was set up in 2014 to investigate atrocities from 1885, when foreigners arrived in Burundi, until 2008, when a stalled peace deal to end the civil war was fully implemented.

So far it has mapped over 4,000 mass graves across the country and identified more than 142,000 victims of violence.

In 2018, he current president surprised observers when he announced he would not seek another term in office, despite a new constitution adopted by referendum allowing him to do so.

In 2015, Nkurunziza’s campaign for a third term plunged the country into violence and led to an enduring political crisis.